This week at C&G: READING. Also ART.
Pressing Matters: Week of April 8-12, 2013
- Trying to get through a bumper crop of submissions this week, including reading four separate fulls. I think I’m going cross-eyed from all the screen-reading.
- Continuing edits on Infinity Key by Chrysoula Tzavelas and II Crimsonstreak by Matt Adams. Adding in edits for Grave by Joan Frances Turner. Phew.
- Author copies of The Other Half of the Sky have arrived, and are being shipped out again to the contributors this weekend!
- We’re going through the eBook versions of Other Half one more time, just to make sure everything’s in working order.
- Artist Sean Dietrich is sketching out the cover to Infinity Key – can’t wait to see this one!
- We’re about to unveil the cover of Blue Diamond Delivery by Anne E. Johnson – stay tuned!
- Rio Griffiths is making amazing concept drawings for the cover of Grave – she practically nailed it in one. The final product is going to be glorious.
Reviews, Promotions, and Buzz
- Pre-publication reviews for The Other Half of the Sky are picking up. This week, there’s a wonderful, detailed review from Vicky Hooper, along with a great interview with editor Athena Andreadis. If you’re interested in women/gender in sf/f, this is a must-read.
- Meanwhile, Nerds of a Feather did a very detailed, considered review of Susan Jane Bigelow’s The Daughter Star. It’s always fascinating to see critical reviews that are thoughtful, measured, and constructive – especially when the final verdict is overall very positive!
- Mean Old Library Teacher has read Broken by Susan Jane Bigelow and was struck by the characterization: “These are powerful characters. They radiate pain, but also hope. I honestly loved Broken, Michael, and Monica. They were easy to connect with, believe in, and empathize with.”
- Mark your calendars for May 11 – Justin Robinson just confirmed that he’ll be in Artist Alley at Long Beach Comic Con! Stop by and keep him company, lest he do something drastic like tap-dancing on his table…
- Are you in or near Philadelphia? Mark your calendar for May 19 at 5pm: Anne E. Johnson will be doing a reading from Green Light Delivery at Head House Books!
- Royalties and accounting work continues this weekend. Soon, the checks go out!
- We’re saddened to see that Night Shade Books is in dire straits again, and we really hope that the Skyhorse deal goes through…but that it appropriately compensates authors and book publishing professionals like editors, artists, and designers who work on the books.
- This overview of style guidelines at the New Yorker from 20-plus years ago is kind of dated (just try not to wince at the gender and sexuality notes), but it’s also hilarious. I need to redo our style guide in this sort of format, I think!
- This video by Ron Charles on Amazon takeovers may be the funniest thing I’ve seen all week.