Candlemark & Gleam is now accepting submissions. We’re looking for completed, polished novel-length fiction manuscripts (approximately 65k and up), primarily in the realm of fantastika – you know, stories with an element of the fantastic, regardless of where they’re set (science fiction, fantasy, steampunk, magical realism, and more are all very much welcome here). We’re especially interested in seeing stories with fantastic pacing, compelling characters, gripping plot twists, and great hooks. Stories that lend themselves to serial distribution are particularly welcome.
However, if you have a great story that doesn’t fit one of these categories, send it our way! We’re open to innovative new ideas, including crazy ones, and we’d love to see what you’ve dreamed up.
We would love to see books whose characters are diverse in all or any respects, including but not limited to gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, and national origin.
Please note, however, that we do not publish erotica. There are a number of high-quality erotica publishers out there, and we’re happy to let them do what they do best.
There’s no need to query first. Here’s what we’re after:
- Include a cover letter/introductory e-mail and all contact information, including your preferred e-mail address.
- Send us the first 50 pages or so of your manuscript. Give us enough to get a good idea of your plot and writing style – and give us enough to want more!
- Send your sample as an RTF file. No other format will be accepted.
- Double-space your manuscript.
- If you have italics in your manuscript, use italics. Please do not underline.
Your file should include the title, table of contents (if necessary), and a short synopsis of the work you’re submitting, in addition to the first 50 pages. Your introduction should tell us a bit about you, a bit about the work, and give us your contact information.
Submissions may be sent to submissions AT candlemarkandgleam DOT com.
Simultaneous submissions are fine, as long as you let us know you’ve also submitted elsewhere. Unagented submissions are not only fine, they’re encouraged! We love to work with new authors.
Please Note: We are not presently reprinting already-published work, regardless of whether it is traditionally published backlist or self-published work. We are only interested in acquiring manuscripts that have not been previously published elsewhere.
All submissions will get an auto-responder message when received. Please allow one to three months for a response to your submission.
If we’re interested in your manuscript, we’ll request more.
In order to save a few trees (and free up paper for making books!), Candlemark & Gleam only accepts electronic submissions. E-mail submissions to submissions AT candlemarkandgleam.com
Some things to keep in mind when submitting, no matter where you’re sending your work.
- Read it. Yes, we know you wrote it – but read your story through again at least once before sending it out into the wild. Get others to read it, too. We encourage you to get 3-5 people to read your manuscript before submitting it anywhere. Don’t just have them read it through, either – you need people who will give you honest critiques and suggestions for improvement. It may hurt at first, but it’ll help your writing in the end. No pain, no gain, right?
- End thesaurus abuse now! There’s a difference between having a good vocabulary and a good grasp of wordplay and being overly clever; think of the poor, overused thesaurus before running amok. Trust us, saying “her violet orbs welled up with viscous, salty fluids” does not, in fact, work as well as “her eyes brimmed with tears.” Won’t someone think of the thesaurii?
- Wait for us to reply. This could take awhile. We know you’re eager to find out if we’re interested in your manuscript, but giving stories a fair evaluation takes time. If you haven’t heard from us within three months, please e-mail us to follow up.
- Always keep a hard copy and a few electronic copies of your work. Don’t trust all your hard work to one place, or one hard drive!